Module 10: Pedagogy of Languages

MULTILINGUALISM

Picture of
MULTILINGUALISM
by - Sunday, 20 September 2020, 12:34 PM

What is the importance of Multilingualism in language acquisition in primary level?

Picture of
Re: MULTILINGUALISM
by - Sunday, 20 September 2020, 7:26 PM

Multilingualism Is really an advantage in teaching learning process. I had a practical experience in FLAIZ MEMORIAL ADVENTIST HIGHER SECONDARY SCHOOL, NARSAPUR where I worked for two years before my appointment in the Govt school. There the children of different states like AP, TN,  Maharastra, Gujarath, UP, Odissa, WB, Andaman and Nicobar Islands (UT), and all eastern states of India. I too got an opportunity to interact with the students from different languages as a teacher and I found that its very interesting to work with them as well as the children participate in activities with interest and having good understanding between them. I still miss that wonderful career where I had a great opportunity to improve my language, lifestyle, and way of looking into the world. The children were very active, confident and enthusiastic to learn even their mother tongues and the medium of instruction (English)  was different. They learned Telugu, Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, Gujarathi even more as a result of multilingualism. The teachers were also from different parts of the country. We too had a great opportunity to learn a lot from the children in many ways. Though I have been earning more money now as a Govt teacher my heart is still paining for the world of happiness I missed all these years. I know that my knowledge deteriorated all these years. I confess for the mistake I did now. Though I have been blessed with a wife, two sons and a good earning for living, the days I spent with the little money and the children's talent, affection, my colleagues friendship, the diversity in students and their unity  and every moment I spent there is an unforgettable memory. But by the grace of God I still have some good relationship with my students and collegues of that time via facebook. I want to join my children in a school like that to see my children see the world in a broad sense if possible next year. Please pray for me and for my family. You too encourage the children to enjoy their life with the real sweetness of meeting and living in a multilingual situations, develop in a wonderful way. Thank you.